January's "Design Your Moment" Prize
Every person WHO ENTERS IN JANUARY will receive a 20% off coupon code for Snapncrop.com AND A CHANCE TO WIN THIS ORGANIZATION SET FROM CROPPER HOPPER:
January's Inspiration: The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen
We are beginning our Design Your Moment Challenges with a classic - "The Snow Queen" by Hans Christian Andersen.
TIP: Before beginning your Mosaic Moments Page, dig into the story. The more research you do, the more inspiration you will find for your page! Here are some ideas to help you brainstorm for the Snow Queen:
Think about the symbols and relationships in the story - the mirror, the window box, the roses, the beautiful frozen palace, the friendship between Kai and Gerda. Consider the author Hans Christian Andersen and his Danish heritage - are you inspired by Danish folk art? What about the story or the author is most inspiring to you? Let it inspire your page, the colors, the embellishments, and the subject.
Here are some themes you could use:
- Best Friends and the Challenges they overcome
- The Difficulties of growing up
- If you live in a snowy area, show how it reminds you of the story
- The good things you see in someone close to you
- Unexpected Friendships
- Is there something or someone who can melt your heart?
These are just a few ideas so, of course, you can use a completely different theme that stands out for you in the story.
Here are a few resources to help you do some research:
- Synopsis of the Snow Queen on Wikipedia
- Read the Entire short Story Here: http://www.online-literature.com/hans_christian_andersen/972/
- Be inspired by the scenery, art, and culture by learning more about Denmark
- Google: Denmark folk art images.
The Deadline for "The Snow Queen" Design Your Moment Contest will be January 15th and COMMENTS will be counted through January 26th.
The Mosaic Moments Design Team will also be doing the contest posts as part of their monthly challenges. Be sure to leave comments for them as well (their posts are not eligible for the contest but they really appreciate your support.)
Here is my page inspired by the Snow Queen:
This page was inspired by the relationship between the two main characters, Kai and Gerda, in The Snow Queen. My best friend and I went through a rough patch at one point, and were away from each other. After overcoming our Challenges, we eventually became good friends again, and our friendship became better than before. Think of a theme from this story to help choose your photographs, and overall theme for your page.
The page itself was also inspired by the story. My page was inspired by the Snow Queen's winter palace and scenery. The colors I chose (the Pewter grid paper, and the various shades of blue Paper Tiles) were to create a winter color scheme. Do you notice the pattern on the paper? I found an old set of stickers purchased over ten years ago that are no longer very sticker when attached to paper. Instead I decided to use them as a stencil with chalk ink. The patterns reminded me of some of the Nordic artwork I researched, and also were an elegant look to represent the Snow Queen. Also, I added crystal-like glitter, which represents not only the snow and icy setting, but also the shattered mirror in the story.
Here is a detail shot of the Stenciling Work: I placed the Border sticker over the paper and added Chalk Ink over it to get this look.
"Best Friends" was created with Mosaic Moments™ 12x12 Pewter Grid Paper, Navy, Blueberry Pie Paper Tiles, this also features metal corner accents, and Shaved Ice Glitter. This also used Navy and Huckleberry Card-stock, and Chalk Ink.
I hope this helps give you a few ideas, and inspires you! Please leave any questions you may have about the contest on this blog or on our Mosaic Moments Facebook Page.
Here are the Guidelines* for the Challenges:
- POST your page on JOURNELLA.COM (Posting on Facebook WILL NOT count). You can use your facebook credentials to create an account on Journella.com - just click the "sign in with facebook" button.
- NO Copyright Images. Do not use images obtained from the internet or other sources - only photos that belong to you.
- MOSAIC MOMENTS™ Grid Paper must be used to create your page. The foundation of the page must be Mosaic Moments Grid paper. You are free to use any additional embellishments and pattern paper you would like.
- Must Post by the Deadline - We will not accept late challenges. We will need time to judge and count the votes, and also give time for others to comment. So please post to Journella on time. Deadline also applies to any comments. The earlier you post, the more comments you are likely to receive. You will have about 2 weeks from the time the challenge is posted to create your page and get it posted on Journella.com.
- Winner will be Determined by: 75% - the number of comments received (each commenter will only be counted once) plus 25% design, creativity, & presentation/story.
- Be sure to share your page to facebook and Let your friends know to comment on your post.
*Guidelines are subject to change. Check back each month to review challenge rules and details.
No time to create a Page? You can win anyway!
If you do not have time to create a page, there is another chance to win the prize. A second winner will be chosen from the list of comments of the winning Post. The more challenge posts you comment on (only one comment per post will be accepted), the more chances you have to win!
For a chance to win, You MUST comment on Journella.com. You do not need a Journella account to comment. Comments can be made on Journella using your Facebook credentials.
If you have any questions about the challenge or the requirements please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org